It is historic craftsmanship and high quality. The waistcoats from Afghanistan are designed by Østerland and produced by Sarra Design in Kabul, Afghanistan. The waistcoats combines the traditional Afghan style with western design elements and the finest fabrics and techniques from Afghanistan.
Sarra Design has been hard hit by the upheavals in Afghanistan but the female owner Shahla Namira has decided to stay and work hard to continue the business. They now have only two tailors and one embroiderer are employed, but has moved into new premises and are keen to continue and strengthen the unique craftsmanship.
The production of waistcoats provide a small but important contribution to income and jobs in Afghanistan.
The waistcoats are available in two versions - wool (short) and cotton (long) - and in three sizes. There are few examples of each. See more below, and select from the menu above.
Materials: Wool and silk ikat
Cleaning: Only drycleaning
- Wool - Small: Length: 48.26 cm, chest: 45.72 cm hips: 71.12 cm
- Wool - Medium: Length: 48.26 cm, chest: 48.26 cm, hips: 50.8 cm
- Wool - Large: Length: 49.53 cm, chest: 52.07 cm hips: 54.61 cm
Materials: cotton and silk ikat
Cleaning: Only dryclearning
- Cotton - Small: Length 68.58 cm, breast: 45.72 cm, hips: 47 cm
- Cotton- Medium: Length: 69.85 cm, chest: 46.99 cm hips: 48.26 cm
- Cotton- Large: Length: 71.12 cm, chest: 48.26 cm hips: 52.07 cm
Photos of waistcoats: Molly Grønberg